If you follow me on instagram, you probably know that I take Taco Tuesday seriously. Not really, but I do love tacos. My mom used to make something like this when I growing up. But a few years ago, I stopped buying taco kits and started making my own seasonings. Its so much better. And I can control the sodium content and there is no secret high fructose corn syrup, etc.
No I’m not claiming that these are authentic Mexican tacos, but I promise you that they are YUMMY! Tried and true! I intend to make a video for the guacamole– so stay tuned.
Anyway, this recipe is SUPER simple– as all of my recipes are. Enjoy!
Dine With Dani Tacos (serves 4)
[please read the entire recipe before you shop and again before you begin cooking]
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning (see large batch recipe)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 minced garlic (or one tbsp from the jar)
- 1 bell peppers diced (optional)
- 1- 1.25 lb ground beef (90% lean or more)
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- corn taco shells [3 per person]
- arugula [to taste– just a few leaves per taco]
- shredded cheese [to taste– likely a tbsp per taco]
- sour cream [to taste– likely a tsp per taco]
- salsa [to tast– likely a tbsp per taco]
- cilantro [to taste] (chopped fresh or dried)
- guacamole [to taste– likely a tsp per taco]
Taco Seasoning (large batch):
- 1-cup chili powder
- ¼ cup garlic powder
- ¼ cup onion powder
- ¼ cup red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup dried oregano
- ½ cup paprika
- ¼ cup cumin
- ⅛ cup course sea salt (to taste)
- ⅛ cup course black pepper grinds (to taste)
- [dry whisp together in a bowl, store in a resealable container, will last forever!]
- baking sheet
- Dice one half a white onion (and 1 garlic clove, optional: one bell pepper)
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat.
- Saute the diced onion (and optional whole bell pepper)
- Preheat oven on 350 degrees.
- Once onions are translucent (and peppers softened) add a tablespoon of minced garlic
- When garlic is fragrant and toasted, add 1 lb of ground beef.
- Salt the beef (onion, pepper, garlic mixture) to taste while still pink.
- Raise heat to high and brown ground beef constantly moving around with the spatula (or spoonula) .
- When beef is brown, turn off heat and stir in 3 tbsp of the DineWithDani taco seasoning.
- On a baking sheet, arrange shells in an overlapping pattern and heat in the oven for five minutes.
- IF your beef was less than 90% lean, drain off half of the liquid fat.